state champs tour diary pt3

part the third, in which the state champs tour
(and diary) comes to a rather anticlimactic end.

FRIDAY MAY 19

	i go the whole day without seeing the
band.  apparently they just hung out wherever in
boston they were staying...
	as for myself, i walk to the boston museum
of fine arts, which has some pretty impressive
egyptian stuff.  it also features a vast repository
of "lifestyles of the rich and colonial."  in the
19th century american art exhibit i find a rather
impressive bierstadt (can't remember what it was
called).
	i strolled past fenway park and walked
back to ian's apartment.  finished reading the
kelman novel and later ian and i dined on "chicken
chow fon," which features these really wide, weird
noodles that ian claims you can't buy in halifax.

SATURDAY MAY 20

	meet up with the guys at a cafe across
from tt and bear's, where they are scheduled to
play an afternoon all-ages gig.  their time slot
is 1:30 p.m. - 2:05 p.m., but due to some weird
miscommunication they miss their sound check and
end up blowing off the gig.  which is not a big
deal 'cause there's no kids there anyway (it's a
sunny warm day and there's no big-name bands on
the bill).  so then they decide not to stick
around for yo la tengo that evening.  after i help
ian carry some stuff to the airport (he's flying
to halifax) we say goodbye to boston and hit the
road for hadley.
	we arrive mid-evening and unpack at
catano's grandmother's house.  there's beds for
everyone and cable tv and abundant food.  wayne
and andy head for town and the car and jon and
catano and i sit and watch tv for a while before
heading to bed.

SUNDAY MAY 21

	we spend our afternoon wandering around
northampton and amherst.  northampton features a
comic book museum founded by the guys who created
the teenage mutant ninja turtles.  they're locals.
we decide not to pay admission but we wander in
the gift shop for a while.  northampton also has
the most exclusive women's college in the usa:
smith college.  we visit that gift shop too but
i'm unsuccessful in convincing wayne to buy the
t-shirt that says, "smith college: a century of
women on top."  catano buys one that just says
"smith college."  it's graduation day and there's
people in gowns everywhere.  we find a 180-degree
arc park bench on campus.  it's molded in concrete
and has its own sundial.  a nice place to rest.
at the local indie record store i find an archers
of loaf t-shirt.  now my shopping is complete. :-)
	in the meantime, we've heard bad news:
the push kings and zeke fiddler are off tonight's
bill.  and we soon find out a possible reason --
it seems monster magnet are playing a show that
night.  next door!  oh well.
	state champs end up top of the bill at
this show at the bay state hotel.  the undercard
featured hanna cranna, who played their best song
at sound check and kinda go downhill from there.
sort of jayhawks, velvet crush, buffalo tom
territory but with too many songs that sound the
same.  the mitchells were a lot more fun.  the
lead singer had a hilarious sense of humour and
did some of the best stage banter i've seen, which
was pretty cool considering he was maybe playing
to fifteen people, and there was no stage.
they kinda sounded like mid-career lemonheads, at
times.  lots of cheesy classic-rock touches, though,
like wah pedal and wanky solos that i got a huge kick
out of.  i don't think the champs enjoyed them as much
as i did.  when they got on the first band had left,
so the champs played to the mitchells and their friends
and maybe a couple of other people.  it was a pretty
slack show that had some funny disorganized moments.
not the high point of their career or anything.  :-)
	when we got back to catano's grandmother's
house we watched both gigs on video.  for the
first time i got to see just how good the mid-east
show was.  boy, they were on.  unfortunately
catano is hidden in the recesses of the mid-east
stage but i got some great shots of jon, wayne,
and andy.  they all have the moves.  :-)

MONDAY MAY 22

	we drove out of hadley early in the
morning and hit the highway.  i finally won the
even-odd competition and got to sit up front.  :-)
once again we had no trouble crossing the border.
when darkness fell that evening we got into a
really cool discussion of music, covering lo-fi
versus hi-fi, which murder releases have the best
covers, and allison outhit's zztop guitar amp.  :-)
we arrived in halifax at midnight.  and we were
dead tired.  and that was that.  well, what did
you expect?  that we were all better, wiser human
beings?  yeah, right.  :-)

     _James R. Covey <jrcovey\!/ac.dal.ca>_    sloan net is a discussion of the
 ___| | ___   __ _ _ __      _ __   ___| |_  halifax / east coast music scene
/ __| |/ _ \ / _` | '_ \    | '_ \ / __| __| [un]subscribe: jrcovey\!/ac.dal.ca
\__ \ | |_| | |_| | | | |   | | | |  __| |_  to post to the list send mail to
Zedd recordZ/daydream records po box 29057 hfx shopping centre hfx NS B3L 4T8