Re: Rebecca West

On Sun, 14 May 1995, Barbara Shizuka Yamazaki wrote:

> hello? andrea? brian? did you guys make it down?

Yeah, we sure did! Me, along with four or so other Sloannetters managed
to meet up...

> for me. anyway, there was a huge line outside of the gastown music hall.

There was a mint records party there just before gob was on, and they
were giving out free beer and food so it was packed, and the capacity at
the GMH is only around 120 or so. I had to wait outside about 30 mins
(missed gob) until all the industry types ate up all the food and
decided to leave.

> but now i know what everyone means when they say rebecca west "rawks".
> allison outhit sounded grrreat!!! i overheard people talking and they
> said it sold out at 8:30 (started at 9) so sounds like a big success. The
> line barely moved so that's a good indication that everyone was enjoying
> rebecca west. i eally wish i could've seen them. i'm glad they played
> that tv song. that woman has quite the vocal chords. she's amazing.

Yeah, I don't really know anything about RW except for the one song I've
heard on the Cinnamon Toast compilation, and this is the first time I've
seen them live...the were awesome! They did sound really "grrreat!!!" and
everyone inside definately loved them alot. allison outhit commented at
the end about how no one in Vancouver dances and was trying to get
everyone up for the last song they played. Some people did. I thought she
was a really cool singer, and her voice is totally cool. Wish I could
growl like that!

I finally was able to hunt down Brian (who wasn't wearing his CiTR shirt
like he said :-P  (after first wandering around the bar after every set
and finding that the only guy there wearing a CiTR shirt was the drummer
for the Inbreds) -funny story about them; I was standing in line outside
while gob was playing (the Inbreds played after Rebecca West) and these two
guys walk up the street, one's carrying a guitar case, and they kind of
shuffle into line. No one recognizes them. Then some guy they know comes
up to them and tells them to get their butts up to the door because he's
on their guest list and the guy wouldn't let him in until the band itself
actually showed up. So they kind of go "oh" and walk up to the door and
go in.

Lucky for me, I ran into someone who was able to point out who Brian was,
and I was then finally able to meet a few fellow sloannetters for a bit.
It was pretty cool, because we're always hearing about how you
east-coasters all get together and have such a blast :-)

After that, cub played, and lisa the-one-who-sings was wearing a big
blond wig and lisa the-one-who-drums had these puppet strings attached to
her arms while she was playing. It's hard (for me) to take a lot of cub
in a once, and this showcase made sure that all the bands only played for
30-40 mins or so, so cub's set was just about right, in my humble opinion.

The best part of the night, I think, though, was Pluto. They rock hard.
If they swing out to the east coast, everyone go see them, they are
really really great. They are kind of power pop, I guess. They are just
really original guitar-pop, and they put on a great live show. (sorry for
the very inept decription!)

All in all, the rest of Music West was not bad. I went to Slam City Jam
all day Sat; saw a bunch of skater-punk bands play along with the North
American skate boarding championships. On the Fri I saw the Welfare
Starlets (very weird and trippy band, with two girls wailing and
shrieking all these really bizarre lyrics) Cinnamon, Thurston, and
16 volt, and Facepuller.

The highlight for me was definatly the "east meets west" though, because
it was really cool to hear those band in short sets altogether in one night.
Anyone else have any comments?

-Andrea