Thrush Hermit + friends review

Hey,
	Well, after much thoughtful thought on the matter, i chose to go
to the 19+ show with a couple of friends, and from previous information its
sounds like its good that we did.  We arrived at 9pm to be told that
doors weren't even til 9:30 (that's not what the ad said), so we wandered
around and even spotted local celebrities - Steve Stanley from the former
Lowest of the Low talking to Paul Dakota of the Lost Dakotas (if you
don't know who these two are, you should find out).  When we went back
in, we found that 4 bands were playing (which made me happy), and I
chatted with the tape seller guy about who Sour Landslide were.

	Sour Landslide, a Toronto three-piece, played first, and were
very good.  They played straightforward grunge-pop, nothing too fancy but
consistently good.  FAst drumming, catchy chords - see them if you get
the chance.

	Local Rabbits played next, and I really wasn't very impressed.
They were sloppy in the same kind of cool way as Pavement, except not
nearly that sloppy, or that good.  Some good laughs off of their
silliness, but I only the thought that the one guitarist who looked like
he came straight out of the Eddie Bauer catalogue had any real singing
ability.

	Plum Tree were pretty cool.  I only knew "Dog Gone Crazy"
beforehand, but I really liked it, and was curious to see this band.
Pretty good, although not stunning.  My friends and I took various
guesses throughout the show as to hpw old they were, but then they didn't
like the band as much as I did.  Vocals were very much sweet-little-girl
type, which I know can really annoy some people.  I was told they sounded
very much like _cub_.  Too bad they didn't play Dog Gone Crazy, although
there was one really good one that I simply can no longer remember the
name of, perhaps because the show was 3 days ago.

	Thrush Hermit rawked.  They played three ffrom Smart Bomb
(Radioblaster [wicked song], something else, and French InHell {hee hee}
in their two song encore), a couple of older ones, and the rest of a
decently long set from their new one.  Patriot, I believe was one, that I
thougth was particularly good.  The unattractive drummer came and dancer
on stage for a little while, was meant to be funny but just came out as
annoying.  I figured people would mosh, or at least dance a bit, but this
was the 19+ show, so a few people swayed and that was about it.  But at
least people stood, move right up to the stage, which can't be said for
any other part of the show.  Good show, lazy crowd.  Well, I didn't
exactly make them dance, so who am I to whine.

	Overall, quite a good show.  It lasted three hours in total,
which seems pretty short, buteach set change was only aboout five
minutes, so it didn't seem that we were getting scammed off.  I didn't
buy anything, although the Plum Tree shirts featuring the swimming badge
did attract my interest.  I work as a swimming instructor, and that
badge looked like a direct copy - is the Red Cross sueing?  I don't know
of many more great shows coming to Toronto soon, but am hoping that some
will before I take off for the summer.

	Later.

				murray s.