khyber gig

State Champs, played a pretty good, but not the best I've seen.   So far
the shows that have impressed me the most are the very first time I saw
them at the khyber(last summer maybe) and at Dal for the CKDU benefit.
Jonathan has to learn to turn down his guitar, it meant that Marc had to
sing through a maxed out mic, and it was all distorted.  Anyway, I love
this band, even when they're not at their best.

Popularity Contest were great, this is the first time for me to see them
perform, Emily writes great songs.  I love her voice, I'm not sure how to
describe it, kinda like Victoria Williams. Their sound is very minimal,
clean guitar sound, but straight throught the amp, so no silly reverb,
understated drums and bass.

Preppy Relatives were also great, a guitar and a drum, clever lyrics, and
they can really jam the songs out.  Gordon Isenor is truly one of the
best guitar players in town, very inventive.  He doesn't go on big long
guitar solos, but he does move all over his guitar throughout a song.

I didn't stick around for the tim robbins experience, but I here they
were good too.

Jim Cooper