Re: The Yanx and Canux

On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Joe Clark wrote:

> But don't French, German, and especially Australian bands also have

french and german bands generally sing in french and german.  this would
probably marginalize their appeal in north america.

> marginal appeal aux États-Unis? Midnight Oil and Hoodoo Gurus aren't

at the ttime of their "deisel and dust" lp, midnight oil were quite
possibly one of the most popular pop bands in the world.  they did not,
however, keep up with the tide of public fancy, so their sun faded.  They
still, however, have lots of fans.

> exactly as big as the Stolling Rhônes, though Crowded House does figure in

the rolling stones have been around since the sixties.  they appeared in
america at a time when british music was being embraced as a change from
the simplistic, sterile pop that america was producing a the time.  What
we are seeing now is a backlash in terms of popularity of foreign bands
in america.  the culture (in terms of mainstream rock) has been so
overewhelmed in terms of brit pop straight through to the eighties, when
every band wanted to be british (duranduran, the cure, etc,etc), that
there is now a strong movement to make "american misic".  The fact that
the rolling stones still have popularity is because they are a leftover
from a bygone era - a british band these days would have little chance of
having such a succesful career in america (elastica, oasis, blur, etc).
Crowded house (who started out in the eighties) have managed to slip into
mainstream consciousness at the tail end of this eighties brit pop
appreciation.  That explains why they have managed to keep a rather
steady fan base (although have any of their records reached "temple of lo
Men" in terms of sucess since that time?).

because of this backlash towards foreign music canadian mnusic (which is
by definition NOT american - no matter how hard some might try) can not
suceed as "canadian" music in the US.  the only two canadian acts in
recent years to acheive sucess in the US have been the crash test dummies
and bryan adams - both of which recorded theit albums in america for
american labels, etc, etc, and have down played their "canadian-ness".

> BTW, I'm happy to give props to Canadian bands in Canada. A lot of Canadian

no, joe, i get the props, and you get the buttocks.

> bands are happy with that too. Who needs the Americans? And heck, we can

you (and others) seem to be confusing mainstream sucess and independant
sucess.  they are apples and oranges.  most of the sucessful canadian
indie bands (bands on canadian indie labels) are not in positions to quit
whatever jobs they have currently outside of music, and very few ever
will be.  Most american indie bands still have to have day jobs as well.
To compare the level of sucess that say Pest 5000 have with someone like
seBADoh is ludicrous.  derivative don't have the resources of subpop to
promote their bands or send their bands on tour.

in order to stay totally independant, and to be able to support
yourselves and your bands as well takes a lot of time.  Candada does not
have the network of independant distribution, independant record stores,
'zine culture, plus the geography of the country makes it virtually
impossible to tour effectively.  for a band in canada to even come close
to matching the success of a popular american independant is very
doubtful IMHO.

Don't get me wrong - i'd love to see this happen, it would be great if
such a community were to develop, but it seems that most of canada's more
popular indie bands are content to sign to majors asap, or to go with US
indie labels - actions that are detrimental to the integrity of a
"canadian" scene.

> build our own communities or proto-communities, like SloanNet.

it's a start, but 150 records sold does not a career make.  it'll take a
lot more than a sloan net to make indie music viable in a canadian
context.  If there were sloan nets in every region of canada documenting
every single scene (no matter how marginal or insignificant) then we
might be getting somewhere, but it would seem that there isn't, so we've
got a long way to go.

miek