sloannetiquette

all right, i've typed up a first draft of
something here.  it's not an FAQ yet, because
there's no *musical* information in it.
this is the set of posting guidelines that
i said i would make up.  this is a modified
version of something i posted several weeks
ago.  if anyone has questions or objections,
please email me personally unless there's a
good reason to discuss it with the whole net.
my plan is to send this to every new subscriber.
is that all right?

hi there, friend!  welcome to sloan net, where
we try our best to make your every day an
interesting and, dare we say, stimulating pot-pourri
of news and views about the east coast scene.
we do this while following (but not necessarily
to the letter) a few little guidelines...

1.  if you want to unsubscribe, send me a personal
message at
	jrcovey\!/ac.dal.ca.
don't send it to the whole list.
you should only post to
	jrcovey+sloan\!/ac.dal.ca
if you want everybody to see your post.

2.  if someone posts asking for information:
	(a) if other people on the list would
	benefit from what you have to say,
	feel free to post answers to
	those requests, but check first and
	see if someone has already done that.
	(b) if other people *won't* benefit,
	reply *privately*.

3.  if you have a news item about the east coast
scene or bands, gig reviews, etc, those are
always welcome.  if what you're posting doesn't
relate, think twice before posting.  maybe on
a day where list traffic is high, you could
save your opinions for a rainy day, instead of
being as stupid as i was once, and sending three
anally retentive posts in one day about
"the tragically hip" or "analog vs. digital".

4.  if you want to slip something in that's
off topic but funny or noteworthy, or something
that you want to say to someone else "in front
of" the whole list, why not include it as a
postscript in another note?

	example:

	dear list:
		i saw the new jale video for "promise"
	on muchmusic today, and i was very impressed.
	can anyone tell me who directed it?

	james

	p.s. whaddaya mean leslie?!?  how the f**k
	can you not include *steve earle* on a list
	of the "only country artists that matter"?!?
	and what about al tuck, palace, and freakwater?

6.	*please* don't post "vote of confidence"
	messages.  these are messages that tell
	everyone how much you love band X, but don't
	really tell anyone anything about the band.
	example:

	dear fellow listmembers,

	i just saw moist, and boy, they *rawk*!

	sincerely,
	joe[sephine] q. lame-o

	if you have something to say about a band
	that might be *news* to people, that's when
	you post.  remember, there are upwards of
	150 people on this list and if we all aren't
	willing to be a bit discriminating about
	how often we post, we're all going to end up
	with e-mailboxes that are virtually
	overflowing with useless crap.

remember, these are just some guidelines.
no one's going to get mad if you break them
sometimes.  i just want to make people more
aware of how they can make this a more
pleasant experience for all concerned.
because, after all, we're all pleasant
people and we like pleasant rock and roll.
that's why we're on sloan net!  :-)

your pleasant list manager
james

     _James R. Covey <jrcovey\!/ac.dal.ca>_    sloan net is a discussion of the
 ___| | ___   __ _ _ __      _ __   ___| |_  halifax / east coast music scene
/ __| |/ _ \ / _` | '_ \    | '_ \ / __| __| to join or leave, send me a note
\__ \ | |_| | |_| | | | |   | | | |  __| |_  to post to the list send mail to