Re: BEST DRESSED Guys

On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, scott hutchens wrote:

> Fil,
>
> A couple of things weren't really clear to me from what you stated:
>
> 1) Why not the Potmaster CD? If BDR is going to make money off it
> (which I should hope they plan to), then they take that profit (and
> should hopefully now have more money in total than they did before)
> and then help two other bands put out albums, then with that profit...

First of all, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, especially Hub's, but the
Potmaster CD won't sell. They are planning 500 CD's and 500 cassettes,
Bung and LizBand have had a hard enough time selling their stuff. This
isn't because these bands aren't good, its because the "alternative" (I
hate to use that word) scene isn't that big here in St.John's. There just
isn't enough people interested in that type of music and interested in
actually going out to buy the stuff to even hope to make a profit. It has
taken Bung and LizBand years at what they're doing to sell their stuff.
It isn't that Potmaster isn't good, it's the fact that they've only been
around for 6 months or so and don't have a large enough fan base that
would go out and buy their stuff.

> 2) Do you think they should have taken all the money and invested it in
> CHED instead of Potmaster, as their second venture? Why? Odds are, I
> would think anyway, that they only made enough profit off D:FR to
> really get one other album under way, for now, so why shouldn't that
> band be Potmaster?

No, I do not think that they should have invested the money in Ched
because that would've been a waste of money. I'm not shitting all over my
band, I'm smart enough to realize that we don't have a fan base big
enough to support such a venture. We would be putting BDR in the hole.

> Having a local company interested only in helping local talent put
> out albums is a fantastic thing, but there are a lot of local bands
> to help out and all of them can't be helped at once. They have to
> start somewhere... and that starting point has to be well picked in
> order to get the whole operation on solid ground. Perhaps they just
> felt that Potmaster was their surest investment as a second release.
>
> One thing I can tell you for sure, telling people to copy the tape
> instead of buying it isn't going to help anyone.

I would just like to say that you missed the whole point of my post. I
was trying to get the point across that in the beginning, it was
supposed to be a project that ALL the bands had a say in. In the end a
descision was made by BDR, without consulting the other bands, to use the
money for Potmaster. It would've been different if they would've laid
everything out in front of everyone and got some input on what the money
should've been used for.
	The profits belonged to the 18 bands, not 1. The least they
could've done was give us the $100 we put into it. I'm starting to sound
like I'm whining, so I'm just going to shut up.

Fil