Re: BEST DRESSED ASSHOLES

On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, scott hutchens wrote:

> 2) Do you think they should have taken all the money and invested it in
> CHED instead of Potmaster, as their second venture? Why? Odds are, I
> would think anyway, that they only made enough profit off D:FR to
> really get one other album under way, for now, so why shouldn't that
> band be Potmaster?

well, fr starters, it seems like it was never made clear wether or not
the investors were signing up for a long term investment into the co-op
or what.  this is stuff that should have been spoken of.  if it is in
fact a co-op, then by definition, no decisions that would affect the
group as a whole (i.e. SPENDING ALL OF THE MONEY) should be made
unilateraly.  regardless of whose idea the whole thing was, if the
project was designed as a collective or co-op, then they withdrew all
rights to priority.

the fact that the potboys were involved in the organization aspect of the
comp, as well as reaping all immediate results from it make it look very
fishy.  it is obvious that there was a lack of communication between BDR
and the bands involved.  $100 to appear on a comp CASSETTE is fucking
ludicrous.  they should've taken note and asked "who is ripping us off
here?".

but what's done is done.

> Having a local company interested only in helping local talent put
> out albums is a fantastic thing, but there are a lot of local bands
> to help out and all of them can't be helped at once. They have to
> start somewhere... and that starting point has to be well picked in
> order to get the whole operation on solid ground. Perhaps they just
> felt that Potmaster was their surest investment as a second release.

i would be really really really really amazed if BDR managed to be the
philanthropist organization you make it out to be.  i doubt they are in
it to help out the poor put upon rockers of nfld.

most smaller record companies are a lot shadier than big ones.  rememeber
that.

mike