Re: THIS IS A FLAME - NO SLOAN CONTENT (was Re: motes song)

}> Serious questions: Didn't they have some existence before the contract?
}> Not even a demo tape?  Was Temple of the Dog originally a Warner (or
}> whatever label) release, or did it not even come out until after the
}> singer buddy was dead?
}
}seattle grunge rock lesson 1:
}mother love bone was this band that has some guys from other seattle

Shit.  Sorry, I gave the wrong name.  I have both of these at home, but
Adam's holding them hostage.  And I knew the guy's name was Wood, but
somehow forgot the Andrew part.  Weird, huh?

}somewhere, but anyways, the tape landed in the hands of eddie vedder,
}beach bum at large. and he wrote the lyrics to the music "one day when he
}was surfing".  i kid you not.  vedder moves to seattle, pearl jam get
}signed right off the bat, a fortune is made.

OK then, anyone who slams PJ as being a commercial construct is entirely
justified.  But I can still like their music, can't I?  I certainly don't
rave about them and I haven't paid them any attention since Ten, but I do
still like the album.  And hey, wouldn't it be cool if Sloan advertised
their latest release on a Transit bus :)

}> And I still have a fundamental misunderstanding of the whole "indie rock
}> snob" scene, being an admitted bandwagonesque jumper.  I can accept that a
}> major label deal means that you are by definition not "alternative".  But
}> does not being indie really mean that you can't be original or creative?
}> Can't you produce worthwhile music *and* sell it to the huddled masses?
}> Isn't it a shame if someone is producing great art but not letting the
}> world experience it because of some alternative idealism?  If a tree falls
}> in a forest but only presses 500 copies, nobody hears.  Please discuss in
}> 100 words or less.
}
}i agree with you.  the point of the conversation was that pj were trying
}to establish an image for themselves that was essentially a lie.  by
}rejecting ticketmaster, ads, videos, etc. after using them for so long
}makes their claims to punk rock crediblilty seem rather dubious at best.
}the conversation, as far as i could tell, that i had w/ lorraine had
}nothing to do with music, it was more about marketing.

<lightbulb>
So you're saying that PJ want the kids to believe that they were part of
the long-dead but much revered hip Seattle scene, when in fact they never
were.  They are, in effect, the Gracebabies :)   Or worse yet, ICU (I
went to school with those guys.  Bleahh!)

So you're not an indie rock snob?  If {insert favourable major label here}
offered you a contract that didn't force you to sound like Moist but let
you keep artistic freedom, you'd take it?
Shit, I must be confusing you with Waye Mason :)  He's the "Indie or Death"
idealist.

}> }work.  you broke the rules - if you had something worthwhile to say you
}> }would've said it to be, instead of plaguing the whole of sloan net with
}>
}> Try Dristad Dasal Bist, it works for be!
}
}haha!!  good one ... :)  it took me minute to figure it out, but damn it
}was funny. :)

Thanks, I try hard!

}hmmmm ... bowing in reverance.  i can see it now.  wanna bet David Pound
}posts something to the net about this whole thing?

Not unless you break serious Nettiquette and forward this to him.  This
one was For Your Eyes Only.