about east-coast music...

earplugs, furnaceface, killjoys.  fascinating, but...

There are a whole lot of things happenning here in our
neck of the woods which seem to be slipping through the
cracks, so i'll try to spark some discussion here...

Last week Paul Hogan -- formerly of the glutones (they
released 'ugly 45' on cinnamon toast and have an EP and
are featured on a few compilations) -- rode into Halifax
with Sloan to do some production work for Plumtree.
He seemed enthusiastic about what they were working on
when i spoke to him after the show he played friday at
the birdland.

The show, since i don't think it was mentionned here, was
really good.  I like the throwbacks to a surfy yesteryear
which paul coaxes from his guitar.  Hopefully his sound
will complement the direction in which the plumtrees seem
to be heading.  I missed their set, and was too consumed
in consumption to grace Atomic Folk with a fair review.

Also, there are some releases which I have been anxiously
awaiting for some time.  The rough mix of the new
superfriendz stuff sounds fantastic.   Rebecca West, who
have been mixing their album for cinn. toast in Toronto
with Brendan McGuire (famed for his work with Sloan, Thrush
Hermit, Al Tuck, etc.) either openned or are going to open
for elastica at the opera house. (if anybody saw/sees this
a review would be nice) I'm not certain when Thrush Hermit's
'albini' recordings are going to be out on murder, but
they should blow minds if the rumours hold true.  And then
there's Sloan's 7" coming out soon...what's with the delay?
Plus Hardship Post's Album is all ready to roll from the
sub-pop warehouse.

All of this said -- and perhaps i'm just bitter because of my
apparently flagrant, irresponsible, downright cavalier attitude
when it comes to hearing loss -- let's talk of east coast rock.

mike n.