Re: earplugs

"James R. Covey" <JRCOVEY\!/ac.dal.ca> writes, for the record:

}for the record, i *was* wearing earplugs \!/ eric's trip,
}and i usually do wear earplugs \!/ gigs, it's dangerous
}not to.  even with earplugs, the show was *too loud*.
}wearing earplugs helped prevent any hearing damage, but
}it couldn't do anything about a sound level that was
}so high that it made everything muddy.  that's why i'm
}complaining about it.  with or without earplugs, i
}couldn't hear the *music*!

All you bandmembers out there, next time you play try to convince the
sound man to play at 8 instead of 11.  You'll do yourselves and your fans
and the neighbours a big favour.  Convince them to mix the vocals to a
level which is loud but undistorted, then bring the instruments up to a
level which doesn't drown them out.  Then back everything off 20% :)

I can remember spending the better part of a week with ringing ears after
a Motorhead/Alice Cooper show about 10 years ago, and to this day I suffer
from constant tinnitus.

}and catano, are you sure you can judge this frequency
}question just by your experience?  the reason for your
}perception that high frequencies get cut out more
}might be that certain high frequency noises that you
}listen for aren't as *loud* as some of the lower ones.
}so it might not be a matter of frequency.  it seems to
}me that that would have to be measured experimentally
}before you could be sure.  just a thought.

I was about to agree with Mike <shudder>, then I thought I'd agree with
you, now I'm still not sure.  The ear responds differently to the
different frequencies.  Most people do lose the upper frequencies first.
However, the perception of loudness differs vastly with frequency.
Certainly when you go to a concert and your ears hurt, it is the high
frequencies that cause your ears to hurt.  One rarely complains about the
bass being too loud, and if it is you feel it in the chest, not the ears.
I also doubt that a foam will attenuate all frequencies equally, but
despite my impending Ph.D., it's not in the subject of acoustics, so I'm
afraid I can't back that up.

Dr. Andrew