Sloan-Kingston-last night

Last night Sloan graced us with their presence here in K-town. Jeff
C. and I arrived early at 7:30pm, to find the bands just hanging
around. However, they weren't all happy to be there (C.M.:  "Man, I _hate_
Kingston!") Apparently they were mad because of several things... including
the venue, (the neon/mirrored walls  Stages Nightclub - "Tomorrow night,
join us for the Bikini Contest!"), and also the fact that underage
tickets were overpriced.  So Jeff and I kept our distance, our mouths
shut, and the camera off. However, Cory of HCG promised to give us an
*exclusive!* interview later on!  The bands then took off to go eat pizza
in  their motel. Finally, after a two hour wait, they returned and HCG
went on stage. Standing still and not smiling, the two rappers? vocalists?
hip hoppers? surveyed the crowd. Things got more exciting from there,
though, when the DJ started the groovin'. Their set was highlighted by
Cory  doing "the worm", and jumping around in bare feet. Wait, make that "bear
feet"  - he was sporting furry bear feet slippers! Don't worry, it was
captured on film forever, soon to be (hopefully) seen in ffiction fanzine!
	Next up, was Sloan! Patrick, Jay and Andrew took to the stage,
accompanied by a gorilla in orange coveralls that strangely resembled
Chris! Wait a sec! It _was_ Chris! Those jokers... At this point, I lost
Jeff, but found out later that he spent most of the Sloan set
interviewing HCG up in their dressing room. So it's up to me to describe
what went on... It was a good show, but quite honestly, a little sloppy.
The singing and playing just weren't up to their normally high standards.
Underwhelmed was played at breakneck pace, which was a refreshing change,
but not when you feel that they were playing as fast as they could
just so that they could put down their instruments and get out of there.
I did really enjoy the show, but I hope that in future shows they
are able to put a little more enthusiasm into it for their fans.
Or maybe it was just because it was Kingston! Anyways, for me the highlights
were Coax Me, Snowsuit Sound and I am the Cancer. Unfortunately they
didn't play Deeper Than Beauty. In fact, it was not a long set - only
one  encore (People...) and then it was all over by 12:30.
	Anyways, Jeff and I got pictures of the boys in their dressing
room after the show - holding a ffiction sign! So check out the next
issue of ffiction for the exclusive HCG interview, as well as pics of
them all in action!

Karen
PS. So now Sloan is playing Hamilton on Sun.? Uh oh, I had to put off going
home to see Sloan here in Kingston - now will I have to put off coming back to
see them in Hamilton???