(fwd) The Failure of Halifax

Newsgroups: alt.music.independent
Subject: The Failure of Halifax
From: ckennedy\!/gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Cameron Kennedy)
Date: 3 Nov 1994 22:47:32 GMT

     Unfortunately, the Halifax scene is only running at about 50/50 so
far.  There are so few bands from Halifax which tour Western Canada, and
so far the majority are major disappointments.  There are two in
particular: Sloan and Thrush Hermit, which will not be played again on my
morning show.
     Sloan's first album, whatever it was called, was at least
interesting.  Some cathy hooks, some hard guitars, I even considered
going to see them in concert.  What difference a year makes.  I must say
that I was excited to hear that Sloan had a new album coming out this
year, that was until I saw the video for the first single off of Twice
Removed.  In the space of a year, Sloan decided they wanted to be the
Beatles, in both an audio/visual capacity.  Wanting to be the Beatles and
actually achieving that status are two different things altogether.
However, holding out hope, when the album came into the station, my
co-host and I were still excited, and played it.  That was a mistake.
Sloan was relegated to our crap pile, another naive Canadian band
thinking that a big time record deal and huge promotion will save even
the worst of garbage.  No wonder Sloan are so bored.  In an interview,
the lead singer indicated that his favorite videos were those where you
could watch your band play.  I think Sloan went a little to far.  I don't
have the time to listen to music which bores the hell out of me to the
point where I can't even remember the name of a song.
     Then, much to my chagrin, I find out that DGC has released a
"rarities" package.  Naturally, Sloan has a track on the album.  Sloan, a
band of a few short years writing songs so good that they are considered
rare?  I don't think so.  You have to congradulate DGC for trying to
raise Sloan's record sales.  Nothing by Sloan could ever be considered
"rare"  so soon.  Maybe it refers to the fact that the latest album will
be rare on account that no one bought it.
     Sloan's detrimental influence on the Halifax scene runs right
through their record label, Murder Records, with the likes of Thrush
Hermit, Sloan Jr..  Thrush Hermit's 7" was good, just like Sloan's first
album.  However, Thrush Hermit's CD debut was less than satisfactory.
I played the album once, and won't do so again.  I hope that my listeners
would be more interested in inovative music, rather than the same old
same old.  If Thrush Hermit ever goes far enough to release a second
album, they should have mastered the format by then.  Of course, who
toured with Sloan but Thrush Hermit.  I always wondered if there was an
album which could be so forgetable.  Now I know.
     Then there was Jale.  I had heard the hype about this band for a
long time, but refused to play them, lest suffer the disappointment of
Halifax again.  With the release of their new album "Dreamcake" I was
pleasantly surprised.  I like this album.  I can only congradulate Jale
for not following in Sloan's major label footsteps when they refused to
sign with Island.  Maybe that way they will be more that one hit wonders.

     I certainly don't want to lunk all of Halifax scene into one big bag
of disappointment.  Hopefully, the scene will grow.  However, after
watching a special on that most wonderful 'alternative' Much Music, it
sounds like Newfoundland has artists more interesting than those Halifax
has to offer.

     Besides Jale, there is only one artist from Halifax who produces
consistently amazing records, and that is Sarah Mclaughlan.  Thank
goodness she signed to Nettwerk and not Murder.

                                                        C.  Kennedy
                                                        The Chelsea Hotel
                                                        CJSR 88.5 FM