(fwd) Re: Halifax, home of great music

Newsgroups: alt.music.independent
Subject: Re: Halifax, home of great music
From: ckennedy\!/gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Cameron Kennedy)
Date: 3 Nov 1994 22:13:05 GMT

ANTHONY NICHOLSON (014653n\!/axe.acadiau.ca) wrote:
:    Has anyone heard music from the halifax "scene"? (halifax , nova scotia,
: canada). If so I'd like some feedback, just for curiosity sake.
  I myself adore
: the music of Sloan, Hardship Post, Jale, Thrush Hermit and others
  from halifax.
: So if you've heard some tell about it , if you haven't well rush out and find
: some NOW!.

:                                                                     Anthony N

     Unfortunately, the Halifax scene is only running at about 50/50.
There are only two bands to have come out of that scene which I am aware
of, those being Sloan and Jale.  Sloan are probably the most
disappointing band which I have ever listened to.  Being a DJ and
afforded the opportunity to listen to a wide variety of music, Sloan fall
into the catagory of boredom.  Their first album was passable, but the
second, Twice Removed, is a failure.  Suddenly, Sloan decides that they
are moving in the wrong musical direction and decided to become a new
audio/visual version of the Beatles?  I was excited that there was going
to be a new Sloan album, but upon seeing the video for the first single
(the song escapes me), that quickly changed.  Pallid, dull, snivelling
garbage.  My co-host and I played the new album once, and will not do so
again.
     And then, much to my consternation, I pick up DGC's rarities
collection, and find out that Sloan is on it.  How can anything Sloan
ever wrote be considered a "rarity" when the band has existed for only a
few short years, and only released two albums?  I am sure "rare" must
refer to how few people actually purchased their new album, and in panic,
Geffen decided that it was absolutely necessary to add Sloan, in order to
boost album sales.
  Then there is Thrush Hermit, Sloan Jr.  I remember playing the first 7"
that station received quite a bit.  Once again, expecting much, as soon
as the full length Thrush Hermit CD arrived, we played it immediatly.
Never again.  So bad was that album. It seems they followed Sloan into
the depths of forgetable Canadian naivity.
     Following in Sloan's burning record deal footsteps, along comes
Jale.  At first, I avoided this band at all costs, dreading their
"infamous" connection with Halifax and Sloan.  However, with the release
of their new album on SubPop "Dreamcake", I was impressed.  I like the
album, and will play it again.  I have to appreciate Jale's conservative
attitude, refusing to sign to Island, thus avoiding the major label
pitfalls which Sloan gleefully accepted.  Hopefully, Jale will learn from
Sloan's mistakes.

     Besides Jale, their is only one musician who has come out of Halifax
who is consitently amazing, Sarah Mclaughlan.  Thank Goodness that she is
not signed to Murder Records.

                                                C. Kennedy
                                                The Chelsea Hotel
                                                CJSR 88.5 FM