Review of Sloan's _Twice Removed_

Hello from Columbus, Ohio.  Home of Scrawl, the New Bomb Turks, and a
really terrible campus newspaper.  The _Lantern_ comes out daily during
the regular school year and twice a week during the summer.  The paper is
filled with poorly written articles and humourless cartoons.  You would
think that a school with a total enrollment of over 50,000 could come
up with better writers, but it just ain't so.

Anyhow, here is a review from Tuesday's edition. I have typed it in
exactly as it appears in the paper.  Any grammatical errors or
capitalization mistakes are the fault of the writer and/or the copy
editor.

Headline: "Looking for some great new music?
          Sloan's latest CD is not the answer"

Some bands suck. A few are extraordinary. A lot just seem to take up
space on the airwaves.

Enter the Nova Scotian band, Sloan.

In their sophomore effort _Twice Removed_, the members of Sloan fail to
produce any really good songs, but they also fail to produce any really
bad songs.

Consisting of guitarists Jay Ferguson and Patrick Pentland, bassist Chris
Murphy, and drummer Andrew Scott, Sloan lays down a few catchy riffs, but
is generally just off the mark from providing any real musical sustenance.

What the album seems to be lacking is unity. The album has no evident theme
and is void of any overriding feeling or emotion. Occasionally, a band can
produce a good album that's lacking an evident theme, but to do this the
album must possess songs that are strong enough to stand on their own. This
is where _Twice Removed_ misses.

In their song writing process, the members of Sloan each write and then
sing lead on their own songs.  Unfortunately, they also seem to have four
distinct personalities, and consequently, four different philosophies on
songwriting emerge. What the listener is left with is an album that is
too loosely structured and lacks any real cohesion. There's just no glue
holding _Twice Removed_ together.

>From the first song "Pen Pals," which sports a Keith Richards/Rolling
Stones guitar riff, to the last song, "I can feel it," which sounds like
a bad attempt at a Monkees cover, _Twice Removed_  has no personality
of its own.

Sloan suffers from a common ailment in today's music industry, a lack
of identity. There's a fine line between trying hard not to sound like
anyone else, and sounding like no one at all. What Sloans needs to do
for their next next album is pick a theme or emotion they want to convey,
and then center around that. They need to decide on a "sound."

I guess what it comes down to is this: Is their a commercial success for
Sloan on _Twice Removed_? Possibly. Would I tell my best friend to buy
this album? No. Would I go out to catch sloan live? Not if Mary Adam 12
was playing somewhere else.

  - review from the _Lantern_, the paper of the Ohio State University
    (they can be reached at  lantern\!/osu.edu)

note: I didn't write the above review, so don't yell at me!

  -lee p.