Re: Paramount

"No way?  Waye!" <DSUCHAIR\!/ac.dal.ca> filled our heads with accurate
history but inaccurate science:

}Hah.  The Orpheum Oprea house was built in the 'teens.  I don't know exactly
}when it became the Paramount.  The Opera House went through from Cinema 1
}and Cinema 2 was  the balcony.  Uh, most 80 year old buildings had
}asbestos in the walls.  Hell, my 20 year old cottage has asbestos behind the
}fireplace.  I bet the Deuce's ceiling has asbestos, under the tile....
}
}As long as you don't touch it (paint over it) then its okay...  its that
}spray foam stuff in the walls thats a problem, in homes built in the 70's
}and 80's....

The problem with disturbing asbestos is that in the process of removing
it, neanderthal construction workers generally tear it apart, releasing
tiny fibres into the air which lodge in the lungs of future occupants and
thus expose them to the nasty carcinogenic stuff.  It is thus much
safer to leave it in place, undisturbed, so as not to create asbestos
dust (we all know how impossible it is to completely remove dust from a
room).  Hidden behind cheap wallboard, asbestos is mostly harmless.

The spray foam stuff in the walls of '70s homes is urea formaldehyde
polymer, which definitely has to be removed, because as it ages it
decomposes to release formaldehyde vapours into the air.  The good news is
that you'll be well preserved after you die, but the bad news is that this
will accelerate the process.  My uncle had to tear down the walls of his
house about 7 years ago to remove this stuff.  A lot of work even for a
guy who owned his own construction company.

Class dismissed!  :)

A man with two .sigs!

--
Is your name not Mike?                    RODENHISER\!/CHEM1.CHEM.DAL.CA
No, it's Andrew.                 Andrew P. Rodenhiser, Ph.D. Candidate

--
       "I should have signed with Disney!   They would never
       have allowed this sort of thing to happen"--Dictabird