SPINE "a new band with a plan"

SPINE -- a new band with a plan  by Leslie J. Furlong
from the Dalhousie Gazette, V. 126, #15, Feb 17, 1994

	David Ledden understands the business side of
rock'n'roll.  He must or else he wouldn't have paid
for our first round.  We are sitting in a pub,
sampling the wares, telling tales and talking about
the local biz.
	"When a band makes a tape, automatically they
should set aside a hundred for mailouts.  Handing
over a bunch to Sam the Record Man just isn't
enough," he says.
	It's statements like these that give me the
impression that Spine is a band with a plan beyond
mere local notoriety.  Kind of cocky for a group that
has only been around for half a dozen gigs and, as of
this article, have nothing committed to tape, but
Ledden's been around the block enough to know what it
takes.  He only needs the right band, and Spine could
be the one.
	When our second round arrives I make sure to
pay for it, if only to preserve the appearance of
journalistic integrity.  Talk moves to Spine's music,
a combination of David's ten years of experience,
most recently with Sawtooth, and the energy of
guitarist Jason Hill and drummer Trevor Townsend, who
split their time with the more experimental Samsara.
It was through the former vocalist for Samsara that
David met them and asked if they would back him up.
[JC note:  really?  I thought the story was that they
all met at Jumbo Video, where they work...]
	As our conversation progresses, we discover
that we both put faith in the song "Rape Seed" as
being the only one with single potential.  The only
problem is that Jason hates it, calling it dumb.
"That's the point," David tells me.  "Rock'n'roll is
dumb music.  That's why it isn't called classical.
The best rock songs are simple songs."
	Simple in arrangement, maybe, but the lyrical
content of "Rape Seed" proves to be something not
dumbed down at all, dealing with the one-sided
misogyny of many other songs in many other forms of
music.
	"For me, saying the word 'bitch' is a step
from gunning down fourteen women.  The word 'nigger'
is a step away from a lynching.  Both are part of the
same line of reasoning, starting from the same place
and ending up in the same place."
	The yin to "Rape Seed"'s yang is a cover of
an old Bee Gees tune [JC note:  "Stayin' Alive" :-)]
that has been a closer for all of their gigs, but
might not last beyond this Thursday at the Double
Deuce or their opening spot for Entombed this
weekend.  "Ultimately, it's not the song we want to
be known for, but it has got us some attention."
	The third round arrives and we each pay for
our own drinks this time.  The conversation has
shifted away from music to Wormwood's [JC note: local
alternative cinema] and the Toronto Maple Leafs [JC
note:  world's greatest hockey team], and we both get
a chance to dumb down for a while.

James R. Covey         Out on the road today I saw a Sub Pop sticker on a Subaru
<jrcovey\!/ac.dal.ca>    A voice inside my head said yuppies smell teen spirit too
Department of English  I though I knew what love was, but I was blind
Dalhousie University   Those days are gone forever, whatever, nevermind...
Halifax, NS  B3H 3H5                                             - Rob Sheffield