1993 - my top twenty

Hey folks -- I did a top twenty countdown of
1993 releases on my radio show today -- it's
totally subjective and so I thought it might
get some good comments if I posted it...

You know, if people on the list want to make
up their own top ten or top twenty lists for
1993, I'd be happy to compile, weigh, and
post the results -- might be interesting!
(send 'em to jrcovey\!/ac.dal.ca)

  1993:  MY TOP TWENTY

 1) SMASHING PUMPKINS  Siamese Dream
 2) ERIC'S TRIP  Love Tara
 3) HARDSHIP POST  Hack EP
 4) SEAM  The Problem With Me
 5) NIRVANA  In Utero
 6) POSIES  Frosting On The Beater
 7) LIZ PHAIR  Exile In Guyville
 8) BREEDERS  Last Splash
 9) POND
10) JALE  singles
11) BIG STAR  Columbia
12) U2  Zooropa
13) DANIEL LANOIS  For The Beauty Of Wynona
14) BELLY  Star
15) BUBAISKULL  Driveby Suicide EP
16) DOUGHBOYS  Crush
17) JESUS JONES  Perverse
18) THRUSH HERMIT  John Boomer EP
19) ANDREW CASH  Hi
20) VELOCITY GIRL  Copacetic

BEST COMPILATION
----------------
SWEET RELIEF  A Benefit for Victoria Williams

"TEMPTING TEN"
artists that put out discs that i'd
*like* to hear all the way through:
-----------------------------------
Afghan Whigs
Archers of Loaf
Band of Susans
Bjork
Cracker
Juliana Hatfield 3
Mudhoney
Spinanes
Tar
Unrest

"FIVE FAILED FOLLOWUPS"
not-so-great 1993 discs from artists I love:
PEARL JAM  Vs.
MATTHEW SWEET  Altered Beast
WALT MINK  Bareback Ride
THE WATERBOYS  Dream Harder
WORLD PARTY  Bang!
(Does Teenage Fanclub _Thirteen_ belong here?
 I haven't heard the whole thing yet but --
 maybe it's not too late to rename this list
 to "Six Sucking Sequels" or something similar)

GUILTY PLEASURE OF 1993
-----------------------
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS  Core
(A living lesson in how to successfully
 ride the alternative/mainstream fence.)

MOST OVER-RATED RECORD
URGE OVERKILL  Saturation
(I had to put this record somewhere -- after all,
it was number two on my list of guilty pleasures!)

James R. Covey         <JRCOVEY\!/ac.dal.ca>        What syllable are you seeking,
Department of English                             In the distances of sleep?
Dalhousie University  Halifax, NS  B3H 3H5        Speak it.