9/27 Harpo's

  Well, last night I went to the Bovine Love Jelly/Change of
Heart/Sloan gig at Harpos here in good ol' Victoria BC.... wow :)

  I thought it was a great show... BLJ played first... I had
never heard them before, but I heard that their demo tape
really sucked, so I didn't expect much. However, they were
really really good.. apparently they kicked one of the members
out and are much better now (heh heh). They're your standard
"modern alterna-punk" guitar oriented band... all the members
are pretty young... I'd say the oldest member is maybe 21 or
22? The drummer is 15 however... which suprised me, as Harpos
are usually bastards about age..ohwell.. anyways, if they ever
come through your town (I don't really think that they have
any x-canada touring plans soon :)) I'd really reccomend them,
as they're really fun..

 Next up with Change of heart.. hey what can I say.. I had
never heard this band before, so I can't really say much about
them... they were great... not earth shatteringly so, but good
nonetheless.. during their set I went outside to get some
fresh air and there was Jay standing there talking to Kevin
Lee (bass player for the godly Victoria band known as Bum, who
are just agout to go on a tour of England with the
Smugglers..). Actually, all the time that BLJ was playing I
was sitting beside a window, and I could see all the members
of sloan sitting outside in the courtyard.. but, I of course
didn't have the courage to go out there and say hi :)

  Whoah, this is getting long, so I'll get to Sloan... they
were really really good... they looked quite tired, which I
guess is understandable considering its the last show of their
Fall tour (well, not including the Halifax gig, but that
doesn't count :) ). Unfortunately, they played a very, very
short set (about 35-40 mins :( ).. I think because they were
so tired maybe (?)... Jay mentioned that it was getting quite
late.. (it was around 1:30am).. what time do shows usually
start where you guys are? Bands almost *never* start playing
until 10pm here at Harpos... so shows are rarely over before
2... but anyuways, heres the setlist as I remember it.. I
could have forgotten some, and some may be wrong... but..

1. some jellyfish babies cover I think... for the chorus they
   kept saying "blue eyes"
2. 500 Up
3. Raspberry (I think)
4. Some song that they said was new and would be on their new
   album.. I can't remember what the chorus was, but Patrick
   sang anyways.,,
5. Median strip
6. Pillowfight
7. Lucky for me (which is still I think my favorite sloan
   song..)
8. Take it in
9. Sugar tune
10. ?? (I didn't recognize it at ALL.. no idea :))
11. Underwhelmed
Encore: Pretty voice

  Oh yeah, I should mention.. the crowd *really* got into the
whole gig.. I was surprised... it was bloody PACKED too.. I
don't think I've ever seen Harpos this packed.. I didn't know
Sloan was that famous out here... Of course, since it is
Victoria we had the standard asshole sailors come in from the
naval base yelling "It sounds better on CD!". <shaking head>.

 I'll shut up now :)

--
Brooks R. Duncan                                ub819\!/freenet.victoria.bc.ca
           The views expressed here are not those of the NSA