Contradictions

}Date:          Tue, 19 Jan 1993 00:02 EDT
}From:          Metalloid <AS374112\!/Orion.YorkU.CA>
}Subject:       Re: Lord Iffy Boatrace
}To:            RODENHISER\!/chem1.chem.dal.ca

}
}>You Keep This Love, Fist, Scar, Break
}
}That's Pantera, "This Love" from _Vulgar Display of Power"
}
}>"All these contradictions are bound to confuse.
}>All these contradictions, what wrong will you choose?"
}
}*You'll* have to enlighten *me* on that one!
}
}metalloid
}
Hee Hee!
That's Contradictions by Prong, one of my favourite new bands.  You may
have heard me rave about them on M\!/M.  I shouldn't say they're new, since
they were more of a punk band years ago, but all the albums I own are
since '88.

Since this whole thing started with Sloan, let's see if I can rattle off
the lyrics to their single.

Underwhelmed
------------

She was underwhelmed, if that's a word
I know it's not, 'cause I looked it up
It's one of those skills I learned in my school

I was overwhelmed, I'm sure of that one
'Cause I learned it back in grade school
When I was young

She said "you look funny" I said "you are funny"
She said "thank you" and I said "never mind"
She rolled her eyes, her beautiful eyes

The point is not the grammar, it's the feeling
That is certainly in my heart
But not in hers   {repeat 4X more}

She is obviously a person with a cause
I told her that I don't smoke or drink
She told me to loosen up on the way to the L.C.

We were talking about people that eat meat
I felt like an ass, 'cause I was one
She said it's O.K., but I felt like I just ate my young

She wrote out a story about her life
I think it included something about me
I'm not sure of that, but I'm sure of one thing:
Her spelling's atrocious

She asked me to read between the lines
and tell her exactly what I got out of it
I told her afection had two f's
especially when you're dealing with me

I usually notice all the little things
At times I was proud of it, she says it's annoying
She cursed me up and down and rolled her r's
Her beautiful r's

I get caught up with triviality
But all I really wanna know is what she thinks of me
I think my love for her makes me miss the point
I miss the point       {repeat excessively}

This is supposedly a poem Chris Murphy, the bassist/singer, wrote in grade
school or junior high and has been played to umpteen different tunes over
the years (I have three recorded versions!)

And that was out of my head, so expect a few errors!

Andrew

"My coffee grows cold....."